Dentistry for Kids : What is a Pediatric Dentist?
A dentist is a medical professional that has been educated and trained with the theoretical and practical knowledge to diagnose, prevent and treat all kinds of dental conditions. To be a licensed expert, he should have underwent schooling to gain certification and then passed the licensure examinations, to earn the right to treat patients. A dentist, with license can open a practice and attend to patient’s needs. Any dentist is able to treat patients, even children, but if you are looking to see a specialist for your child’s needs, you will need a pediatric dentist geared for dentistry for kids.
A pediatric dentist is a dentist just the same, but he has gained specialization by going through extra years in school. He made a decision to seek specialization to be a true expert in the handling of dentistry for kids. The cost of a pediatric dentist will be similar as an adult dentist. He is no different from another dentist, but he has committed his practice to handling children — so most likely, his dental office will appear like a nursery, more than anything else.
Benefits of Working with a Pediatric Dentist
As already mentioned, a pediatric dentist is a dentist just the same, but he is one who has made a decision to focus his practice on the treatment of children. When a parent is trying to decide whether or not it is smart to choose a specialist for the children’s needs, the following benefits should be considered:
- Expertise of the Dentist: The extra years that the dentist devotes to schooling makes him an expert, separate from any other dentists. Unlike general practitioners who have “general” knowledge of dealing with children, the specialist will have gained expert knowledge and skill by training further in the field. Compared to an ordinary dentist, he will have gained extra power that makes him the authority to watch over the dental health of your child.
- Mastery and Experience: When a dentist is under specialty practice, he will have focused his career to dealing only with children. He will have focused all his working hours dealing with child patients — the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of their dental conditions. This of course obviously translates to mastery and experience. By devoting much of his time to this kind of service, you can trust that a dentist is going to be more attuned to performing procedures than a dentist who is in general practice. A specialist spends his day in and out doing certain procedures and this kind of practice increase skill efficiency, mastery, and technique performance at a similar cost.
- Dental Team Handling: Another advantage you may enjoy when you choose a specialty practice is the team
who is used to handling children. The team, being accustomed to meeting patients of a younger age, will know how best to handle the child patients and their parents or caregivers.
- Dental Office Amenities and Equipment: A clinic in general practice will look like most clinics would — often hospital or spa-like. A clinic in pediatric practice is not going to appear like a clinic usually looks; as a matter of fact, it may appear like a playroom or a fun room with all the lovely and bright colors. There will be toys and activities that the children will appeal to visually and physically. More so, they will be equipped child-friendly equipment and tools.
- Passion for Children: Dealing with children is not easy and genuine passion for children is one that you will be sure to find from a pediatric dentist. This is a dentist who made a decision to treat children because of all the many specializations he could choose to pursue, he chose to focus on children.
In terms of making your child’s dentist your dentist, there may be no room for such, unless the dentist is a pediatric specialist in general practice. When your child’s dentists has focused his practice to attending to dentistry for kids, this will mean that you will not be able to go to the same dentist. You will maintain your own dentist and you will come to a separate dentist for your child’s needs — a pediatric specialist. It may be a chore, but if you are looking at satisfying preferences and priorities, there really is nothing wrong with such an arrangement.